Free Farm and Fish Fun
Only constructive f-words are allowed in this blog, and today we have at least three of them: Farm, Fish and Free. Using these 3 words and a little of your own planning, you can make a wonderful Friday afternoon getaway for fun, or find a local farmers’ market most days of the week. Here’s the package deal:
Easy. You get to relax about the driving, parking availability and fees, and just enjoy the scene. When you take the trolley you even get a “market buck” to put toward your purchases.
The Promenade in Avila is always fun, overlooking the little beach. It’s a great place to people watch, have a picnic, take a dip or just bask in the sun. Add in the Fish & Famers Market, and you get even more energy going. In addition to the freshest foods around, the Market also offers music, snacks from local restaurants, and wine tasting. It’s just a great afternoon.
The Trolley Runs in Summer, as in Now
The Friday Fish & Farmers Trolley operates on Fridays June through Labor Day, but there’s also a weekend Avila Beach trolley you should consider when you stay in Pismo. It runs Saturday and Sunday April through mid-October, with expanded hours June through August. The trolley connects the Pismo Premium Outlets with Port San Luis, with the Avila Hot Springs Resort, the Avila Barn and stops in Pismo in between.
From Farm to Fork: Find a Farmers’ Market
Are you among the many who love farmers’ markets?
One of the advantages of living in a county with a lot of agriculture is access to fresh fruits and veggies on a seasonal basis. Lucky for us, our local farmers and farm organizations have organized farmers’ markets all over SLO County. Many of these operate year around, with a few that are spring and summer only.
You can check out the schedule for all of our 2014 Certified Farmers’ Markets, but here’s a sampling:
- Saturday morning: San Luis Obispo, 325 Madonna Road (World Market)
- Saturday afternoon: Arroyo Grande, 214 East Branch
- Saturday afternoon: Morro Bay, Harbor and Main Street
- Monday afternoon: Baywood-Los Osos, Santa Maria Street at 2nd Street
- Tuesday morning (April – Dec): Pismo Beach, 555 5Cities Drive – all vendors within 55 miles of Pismo (near 4th Street)
- Wednesday morning: Arroyo Grande, Smart & Final
- Thursday afternoon: Morro Bay, 2650 Main Street (Spencer’s market)
- Thursday evening: downtown San Luis Obispo
- Friday afternoon (April – Sept): Avila Beach promenade
We never run out of things to do here in SLO County, but it sure is nice that good eating is always close to hand!
Spring Escape$159 /night | Sun- Thurs$209 /night | Sun-Thurs, Mar 30 - Apr 9
Get the Latest by Email
CategoriesAbout Pismo Beach
Food & Wine
Meetings & Events
Pismo Beach Activities
Pro Sports and Music